I love a good carrot cake for spring and because I'm nice, I'll share my favourite recipe with you:
115g zwieback / rusk 25g soft butter
4 eggs (separated) 50g cream cheese
250g sugar 250g icing sugar
100g ground hazelnut a little bit of water
250g carrots (peeled and grated) 12 marzipan carrots
1 tablespoon lemon peel
3 tablespoons baking powder
1) Grind the zwieback/rusk in a blender or alternatively manually in a tea towel (to avoid 'crumbing' your kitchen. This will be the flour substitute for the cake and is meant to be relatively powdery.
2) Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth. Then beat in the hazelnuts, sultanas, carrots, zwieback/rusk flour, lemon peel and baking powder until you get a well stirred, moist mixture.
3) Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the cake mixture until evenly distributed.
4) Spoon the mixture into a round tin (slightly buttered) and cook in the oven for an hour at 180°C (350°F). Once the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it cool down.
5) For the icing, mix together the soft butter, the cream cheese and the icing sugar until they are smooth and soft. Spread the icing onto the cake with a butter knife and place the marzipan carrots on top of the icing, one for each piece.